I recently emerged from the bed after a seven day battle with a sinus infection, that turned into an ear infection, that ended up rupturing my eardrum.
Sounds like I’m 6 years old, right?
Who knew adults got ear infections and pretty serious ones at that. Not me, I thought I graduated from ear infections in my elementary years. Obviously not.
I can’t brag on my husband enough for keeping the ship afloat while I was down. He managed to rearrange his work schedule so he could be home with the boys, make sure they were fed, keep the house from being burned down and even check off a box or two from the homeschool assignment list. To some that may not sound impressive but I’m still in awe of his Daddy Ninja Skills. #LoveHim
But it goes without saying that when Mama goes down, things can start to go awry pretty quickly. I was pretty useless for five full days and am still not 100% but I’m trying to get back into the swing of things little by little.
I decided the first step to making myself feel better was to get our house back in order. I started picking things up and trying to bring order to the chaos when I finally had to stop and have a good laugh.
I really can’t put into words the absurd condition our house was in. So, instead of using words, I’ll use pictures.
Here are my “Top Ten Signs Mom Is Sick”…
1. There is yellow modeling clay in the bottom of the turtle’s aquarium. I’m guessing the modeling clay was in lieu of actual turtle food, meaning the turtle hasn’t eaten in a week. Thankfully, he’s still floating upright. Mr. Chad will be proud.
2. The trash is piled high with school assignments that have been discretely dropped in the garbage can.
3. An entire roll of tape is stuck to the floor to serve as a reminder that someone tried to tape his baby brother to the rug.
4. You have enough empty pizza boxes to build a small fort. I only photographed two because I was too embarrassed to admit the actual number of pizzas that were consumed in my absence.
5. Picture frames, along with other household items are broken as a result of the MMA cage match that took place in the living room.
6. The baby has painted himself with White Out AND it hasn’t been washed off. I refuse to admit how many days the “war paint” remained on his arms because that would be evidence of how long my boys went without a proper bath. I digress.
7. The bottom of the coffee pot is burned black, which serves as evidence that Daddy has relied heavily on caffeine to get through the last week.
8. The curtain rods are literally ripped off the wall. See #5.
Pizza Dinner is served along with soda on the floor, on a blanket, in front of the TV in the middle of the living room.
10. You get an insane amounts of hugs, kisses, cuddles and snuggles when you do finally manage to get out of the bed because your kids have missed you so much. Swoon.
Thankfully, as I type this we are on the mend and there are brighter days ahead at the Taylor house. We’ve managed to find order in our home and even get the laundry caught up. So, we survived the plague of 2016 and hope that it’s a really long time before something like that comes around again.